Saturday, June 21, 2014

Maintaining Lactation At Work

I won't say that I'm a strong advocate of breastfeeding but I know how important it is. I have exclusively breastfed Kuya for a year and three months, and would have been longer if I didn't get mastitis. With Kuya, it was a painless experience because he had a good suck from the start. I was expecting that I wouldn't have any problems when it comes to breastfeeding Theodore but I was wrong. Theo's suck was weak and feeding him was very painful during the first two weeks. I remember I would cry every time he latched and it came to a point wherein I thought I would not breastfeed him anymore. Of course, I survived that phase without switching to formula. How? I used nipple shields. 

Nipple shields are thin, soft silicones that don't interfere with breast stimulation. As I have always explained it to my friends, it's like making your breasts become "feeding bottles" but with unlimited milk supply for baby. However, please know that nipple shields should only be used temporarily; in my case, only after the wounds have healed and baby's latch has improved. Long-term use may end in a decrease of your milk supply. I used nipple shields for about two weeks only. 

Two months after giving birth via C-Section, I went back to work. I was determined to continue breastfeeding so I started bringing a portable breast pump, about 4-5 milk storage bottles (sterilized) and ice packs inside a thermal bag. Every two-three hours, I would take a break from work and express milk. Expressed milk will then be stored in our freezer for me to take home at the end of the day. The milk expressed today will be baby's food tomorrow, unless of course, it's Friday; in which case, expressed milk will be used the following Monday. 

Expressing milk, like breastfeeding, needs a lot of patience and practice. At first, it may be painful but as you get used to it, the pain will slowly diminish. Just make sure to empty your breasts every time and to observe a 2-3-hour interval in-between. Your breasts are like bottomless iced tea - even though you say it's bottomless, it still has to be refilled before you can pour the contents out again. 

The moment I get home from work, I would clean up, eat dinner quick and breastfeed Theo. Theo, like all babies, can feel when Mommy is about to come home. That is why, he would only feed a little via dropper when it's almost 6 o'clock. 

Now, Theo is 6 months old and I've been back at work for 4 months. I still bring my thermal bag and my breastfeeding paraphernalia to the office. I still take a break to express milk every 2-3 hours. It's a routine that Theo and I have established. It's a routine we're comfortable with. By following this routine everyday, I have successfully maintained a healthy milk supply even when I'm away from my baby (and even if he is drinking Nutramigen temporarily).

No comments:

Post a Comment